Skip To The Main Content
facebook twitter linkedin search

Contact Information

Bal Harbour Police Headquarters:
9700 Collins Avenue, Suite 280
Bal Harbour, Florida 33154
(Located in the Bal Harbour Shops)

Dial 305.866.5000 for Non-Emergencies



Property and Evidence

The Property and Evidence Unit handles the processing, collecting and recording of property and evidence confiscated by BHPD. The Unit also ensures compliance with local and state laws and follows procedures set forth by the regulating authorities.

Property & Evidence FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):

Where do I pick up my property?
You can pick up your property at the BHPD Police Station located at 9700 Collins Avenue, Suite 280, Bal Harbour, FL 33154 inside of the Bal Harbour Shops.

When can I pick up my property?
Property & Evidence is open to the public Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. You may call to schedule an appointment at 305.866.5000.

How long does it take to pick up property?
A typical release may take up to 60 minutes or more to process if you don’t make an appointment.

Can a friend or relative pick up my property?
A friend or relative must have a notarized Power of Attorney, authorizing them to pick up your property. If the property is to be released as the result of a Court Order, the court order should indicate who has power of attorney.

What do I need to retrieve my property?
If your property can be returned to you, you must have:

  1. BHPD case number or
  2. Court case number
  3. Photo identification (State Driver's License, State ID card, U.S. Passport, or U.S. Armed Forces ID card)
  4. An original "Return of Property" Court Order (if applicable)

If your court case is closed, the arresting or impounding officer must complete a Property Disposition form and a Narrative Continuation form, indicating that your property can be released. These forms must have your name, address, and phone number printed on it by the officer. Only an original Property Disposition form will be accepted. If you’re not sure if a Property Disposition form and Narrative Continuation form have been completed, please contact the arresting or impounding officer.

What kinds of cases do not allow me the return of my gun?
Any case that is deemed a Breach of Peace requires a Court Order. You must have an original "Return of Property" Court Order to have any property taken for a Breach of Peace.
Examples are:

  • Domestic Disputes, Batteries, or injunctions
  • Reckless Display of a Firearm
  • Possession of a Firearm by a convicted felon (weapons will not be released)
  • Baker Act

Do I need to bring anything to pick up my gun?
It is recommended that you bring a case or pouch for each weapon. Ammunition will not be returned.

Where do I obtain a Court Order?
Go to the Miami-Dade County Clerk of Courts and file a "Motion for the Return of Property."