$18.00 - $28.00 Hourly
$1,440. - $2,240. Bi-Weekly
Nature of Work:
This position under general supervision performs a variety of semi-skilled maintenance, repair, or construction activities of routine difficulty throughout the Village. Work is assigned verbally and in writing. Work is reviewed through observation and written reports.
Illustrative Examples of Essential Duties:
• Performs electrical maintenance both inside and outside Village Buildings, parking lots and streets to include, street lights, accent lights and lights both inside and outside of buildings.
• Performs asphalt/concrete maintenance/cleaning of Village sidewalks, parking lots, streets, etc. Performs plumbing maintenance of all village Buildings and grounds to include sprinkler checks and repairs.
• Performs building maintenance inside and out to include dry wall repair, sparkle, paint, framework, tile, ceilings and doors.
• Performs light carpentry duties
• Maintains landscape of all public property if assigned
• Maintains, repairs, installs street signs and other public signs as needed
• Washes Village vehicles, equipment and furniture as needed.
• Works with the public
• Performs other duties as assigned
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of electrical and plumbing principles and practices of maintenance and repair of same
• Knowledge of landscape and building maintenance and repair and ability to perform maintenance
• Knowledge of related occupational hazards and standard safety precautions
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
• Ability to perform strenuous work under a variety of weather conditions
• Ability to maintain physical condition commensurate with demands of the position.
• Mechanical aptitude
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and the general public.
• Ability to understand and carry out simple oral and written instructions
• Ability to lift heavy objects
• Ability to drive a truck
• Ability to complete written and digital reports
• A willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and nights
• Skill in the use of a variety of equipment and machines required in utility and street maintenance and building repair work.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma, GED, or equivalent certificate of competency; supplemented by three (3) years of experience in general construction, utilities maintenance, or related manual labor work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position..
Licenses, Certifications and Registrations:
• Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License or may possess a Chauffeur's License depending upon the vehicle in use.
• Must possess or obtain a Florida Class “B” Commercial Driver’s License valid for air brakes within 6 months of date of hire.
Essential Physical Skills:
• Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone, personal contact and in writing.
• Use of hands and fingers with required dexterity to operate various hand and power tools.
• Continuous walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, sitting, standing, pushing, and pulling
• Ability to lift heavy objects over 20 pounds.
• Work performed outside in various weather conditions including: noise, dust, chemicals, solvents, grease or oils, electrical energy, slippery surfaces.
• Work performed above and below ground level, in water.
• Work may performed at heights.
• General Supervision and specific assignments are received from and reviewed by various supervisory level staff up to and including the Parks & Public Spaces Department Director.
• Duties are performed with limited independence requiring the exercise of discretion, sound judgment and initiative.
• Work is reviewed for compliance with generally accepted operational practices, established departmental policies and standards, and through conversation, observation, analysis of reports, recommendations and results achieved.
To apply send an email to:
Parks and Public Spaces Director - John Oldenburg - Joldenburg@balharbourfl.gov
Assistant Village Manager - Ramiro Inguanzo - Ringuanzo@balharbourfl.gov