PARKS AND PUBLIC SPACES DEPARTMENT
$24.03 - $32.00 Hourly
$1,923.07 - $2,560.00 Bi-Weekly Nature of Work:
This position performs skilled work in the construction, maintenance and repair of the Bal Harbour Village water distribution system, sanitary sewer system, storm water system and related facilities under control of Parks and Public Spaces Department. Emphasis of the work is the maintenance, repair, and replacement of the Village owned utility system. Work schedule is subject to change based on emergencies and the nature of assigned tasks.
Illustrative Examples of Essential Duties:
• Acts as lead worker in the construction, installation, and maintenance of water service installations
• Sets and makes connections in water mains
• Installs water services, valves, fire hydrants, meters, sewer laterals, clean-outs, inverts, French drains, and manhole covers.
• Reads, troubleshoots, and repairs water meters as needed.
• Sets up maintenance of traffic around job site to ensure safety and monitors traffic conditions.
• Uses and maintains hand tools, power tools, and test equipment as assigned.
• Performs taps in water mains and chlorinates water mains.
• Clears blockages in the sewer main and laterals
• Performs routine maintenance on check-valves and other parts of the sewer system.
• Cleans wet-wells as needed.
• Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, or other documents.
• Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, manuals, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
• Documents all preventive maintenance and inspections performed on Village owned sanitary sewer manholes, mains, valves, and laterals.
• Documents all preventive maintenance and inspections performed on Village owned catch basins, French drains, outfalls, and drainage lines.
• Operates control panels for storm sewer and sanitary sewer lift stations.
• Drives a truck in transporting materials and workers
• May operate semi-heavy-duty construction and maintenance equipment
• Performs related work as required
Minimum Requirements: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of metal, plastic, and concrete pipe work, including threading, caulking, and other types of pipe connections
• Ability to read civil engineering plans
• Knowledge of constructing new water mains, sewer mains and repairing leaks in existing mains
• Knowledge of water and sewer valves
• Knowledge of fire hydrants
• Mechanical aptitude
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and the general public
• Ability to understand and carry out simple oral and written instructions
• Ability to lift heavy objects
• A willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and nights.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma, GED or equivalent certificate of competency and vocational training in plumbing and pipefitting, with more than three (3) years of work experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
Licenses, Certifications and Registrations:
• Must possess one of the following licenses/certifications:
• Class “3” or greater Water Distribution System Operator License from Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP);
• Florida Water & Pollution Control Operators Association (FWPCOA) issued Wastewater Collection Technician class "C" certification or greater, or a minimum Florida Class "C" WWTPO license;
• Florida Water & Pollution Control Operators Association (FWPCOA) Stormwater Technician Certification Level “C” or greater;
• A combination of any two of the licenses/certifications listed above must be obtained within six months of the hire date. One year of verifiable experience is required to sit for the exam of each of the above disciplines to become licensed/certified in that discipline;
• Must possess or obtain a Florida Class "B" Commercial Driver's License valid for air brakes within six months of the hire date.
Essential Physical Skills:
• Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone, personal contact and in writing.
• Use of hands and fingers with required dexterity to operate various hand and power tools.
• Continuous walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, sitting, standing, pushing, and pulling
• Ability to lift heavy objects over 20 pounds.
• Work performed outside in various weather conditions including: noise, dust, chemicals, solvents, grease or oils, electrical energy, slippery surfaces.
• Work performed above and below ground level, in water.
• Work may be performed at heights.
• General Supervision and specific assignments are received from and reviewed by various supervisory level staff up to and including the Parks & Public Spaces Department Director.
• Duties are performed with limited independence requiring the exercise of discretion, sound judgment and initiative.
• Work is reviewed for compliance with generally accepted operational practices, established departmental policies and standards, and through conversation, observation, analysis of reports, recommendations and results achieved.
• Supervision is exercised on a limited basis for semi and unskilled labor assigned to complete assigned tasks.
To apply send your Resume attached via email to: email@example.com