The Building Department is responsible for permit issuance and Florida Building Code related plan review and inspections, which safeguards the public health, safety, and general welfare of our citizens.
Concurrent Plan Review with Miami-Dade County
Effective August 23, 2021, the Bal Harbour Village Building Department will be performing Concurrent Plan Reviews with Miami-Dade County. All applications requiring any Miami-Dade County approval(s) shall submit the following items to the Bal Harbour Building Department:
1. Bal Harbour Village Permit Application;
2. Miami-Dade County Municipal Permit Application;
3. One (1) set of paper drawings; and
4. One (1) set of electronic drawings (CD or USB) following the required Miami-Dade County file naming format.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 305-866-4633
Permit Application and Plan Review
A Building Permit is required for most types of construction work within Bal Harbour Village. Download Do I Need a Permit? to determine which types of projects do not require a Building Permit. If your project is not listed, a Building Permit is required. There are two types of permits:
- For proposed work affecting the exterior of the structure such as awnings, driveways, fences, paint, signs, windows, doors, additions, new construction, etc., the Village requires review and approval by the Architectural Review Board prior to review by the Building Department. Upon approval by the Board, a Certificate of Appropriateness is issued to the owner. The Certificate of Appropriateness and Architectural Review Board Application for the form and application requirements are forwarded to the Building Official.
- For proposed interior work only, the Building Permit application is submitted directly to the Building Department for code compliance review, including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, structural, zoning, public works and other Village Departments
Permit applications can only be submitted in-person at the Building Department located in Village Hall - 655 96th Street.
After submitting your permit application, you may track the status of your permit through the Online Permit Center using the Access Code provided by Building Department staff.
Once the Building Permit is issued, a list of required inspections will be outlined on the Permit card. To ensure the work is done according to the approved plans and applicable Building Codes, the appropriate discipline will inspect the work. The permit holder (owner/builder or contractor) is responsible to request each inspection. All inspections for permits issued after February 1, 2017 must be scheduled through our Online Permit Center.
Upon approval of all inspections and submittal of additional required documents, such as final survey, the permit status will change to "Final" and based on Section F.B.C. 111 a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued where applicable.
Planning & Zoning/Land-Use
For Planning & Zoning/Land-Use information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
To schedule your inspection appointment, please visit our SmartGov portal.
THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT INSPECTION SCHEDULE
Building Trade Inspections: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
Structural Plan Examiner: Tuesdays & Thursdays
Misael Rodriguez, P.E.: Office 305-868-1141
Mechanical Trade Inspections: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
Chief Jan Pierre Perez: Cell 786-412-5318
Plumbing Trade Inspections: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
Chief Maykel Massanet: Cell 305-400-1763
Electrical Trade Inspections: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
Chief Candelario Martinez: Cell 954-558-3912
The Building Department will respond to any emails received regarding the Building Development Process. To contact any Building Department staff member via email, please see their contact information below:
Village Building Official: Eliezer Palacio (email@example.com)
Building Administrator: Lourdes M. Rodriguez (LRodriguez@balharbourfl.gov)
Permit Technician / Scanning Specialist: Melba Sanchez (MSanchez@balharbourfl.gov)
Permit Technician / Special projects: Alexander Sanchez (ALSanchez@balharbourfl.gov)
Permit Technicians: Olga Kalogeropoulos (firstname.lastname@example.org); and
Sindia Alvarez (Salvarez@balharbourfl.gov)